Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose a response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Victor Frankl
I’ve done a lot of radio over many years but have never had a host who was literally raging from the political Far Right. Still, we agreed it’s time for transformation – not just the left or the right of the same old box. A new box – a new paradigm.
This quote provides often-overlooked context for whatever you’re working on:
“Everything that has ever happened in the history of the universe is the prelude to each of our lives. Everything that has happened from the beginning of time has become the platform from which we launch our lives.
We are the heirs of the long evolution of Spirit. Each of us is the latest unfolding of the event of Creation. Our bodies are composed of the material that was shaped in the Big Bang. And so, too, our spirits. The loving goodness of the universe breathes us and breathes through us, giving us life and consciousness, and the capacity to recognize and love others.”
– Rabbi Michael Lerner
- Could you use a well-credentialed, private sounding board whose only agenda is to make sure you get what you want?
- Need a great transition with a promotion, job switch, or taking off on your own?
- Does team coherence seem like an oxymoron in your world?
- Would you benefit from objective perspective on chronic problems you’re facing?
- Are you launching something new or ready to ramp up what’s going on now?
- Can you imagine the difference it could make if you had dedicated counsel for staying at your winning edge?
Here’s how to best capitalize on executive coaching programs:
- Make sure that you screen for the best match between your organization and the gazillion executive coaching companies in the marketplace.
- Make sure you’re discerning between great marketing and truly transformational coaching.
- Make sure the executive coaching consultant is relying on metrics that matter. If s/he isn’t measuring culture and consciousness development along with tangible achievements, you aren’t getting an accurate picture of your executive coaching results. And, if they aren’t measuring those things, you’re not likely progressing adequately in those domains and that’s a waste of executive coaching fees.
- Make sure you have plenty of soak time for integrating the takeaways from executive leadership development.
- Make sure that either personal executive consulting or executive leadership programs are addressing the yin and the yang of executive leadership development, i.e. the hard and the soft data, core competencies and culture, as well as the continuum between bottom line financial health and contribution to greater good.
Just like Executives and Business Owners, Olympians use consultants to problem-solve. But unlike most business and civic leaders, Olympians invest in winning edge-focused coaching. Makes sense – top tier athletes don’t coach just to get over broken ankles, even if they’re recuperating from one. They coach for breakthroughs and transformation.
Likewise, top tier leaders don’t just coach to put out fires, they coach to sharpen and maintain their edge – to break through the status quo. I’ve recently shifted from calling my services “coaching” because “counsel” seems more appropriate. To me “counsel” embraces everything that coaches do but offers a greater depth of service.
Whether you’re squarely in the driver’s seat, changing vehicles, or ready for a radical sabbatical away from the steering wheel, good consulting can have a major impact on your effectiveness and efficiency for increasing:
profits, stakeholder loyalty, innovation, leadership and organizational capacity, excellence, vitality, work/life balance and team coherence.